Monday, December 15, 2008

Patience vs. Modern Medicine




James here:

So I've been struggling with this the last few weeks. Our son is due pretty much any day now. He's been due "any day now" for about two weeks. So Alyssa's mom flew in to see if she can witness the birth of her first grandchild. So time went and went. We walked, jumped, and jumped and jumped. Ate eggplant and Korean Stew (extra spicy). Castor oil...which is the worst idea ever. Castor oil would work better for oiling up the perineum rather than making the baby come. Sex...did it...many times. Took one for the team on that one. Walking on a curb...nope. I blew in her nose...you know to reverse the pressure south...nothing. Then my wife asked me for something that got me thinking...pray that the baby comes out now....

So as a former minister I believe in the power of prayer. I have seen and heard many miracles in reference to it. I prayed for snow once before a winter retreat...we got snowed in and trapped on the mountain...I prayed and asked God to let me know if I should stay at my church and to let me know in the clearest way possible...I get fired from my job at church...that was pretty clear...God works. So my struggle was praying the baby out. And to a very disgruntled wife/mother I said no. I wasn't going to pray for something that I wasn't sure God wanted to do right then. But do I keep a pregnant woman happy or follow my internal leading...tough call. I'm pretty sure with all the extra hormones and frustration she could pretty much destroy me. Not in a I love you way...but in the Godzilla destroying NY city kind of way.

Then I start to hear random people say things like "when the baby is ready he'll come out." "He just needs a few more days to be ready" and my personal favorite..."when the fruit is ripe, it will drop from the tree." That one was from the SBC pope. I want to see my son too. I want to be sleep deprived and have a good reason for it. I want my wife to be able to sleep on her back again. I'm ready to pass on my boyhood experiences and live vicariously through him. (plus I'm pretty sure I'll have more fun with his toys then he will) Power wheels here we come!

All that to say...where do I draw the line between modern medicine helping and the natural cycle working? (I'm hearing Circle of Life music in my head right now) When do I allow modern medicine to step in and provide relief? Is all natural really the best medicine? Is it wrong to want my baby out now...for valid and selfish reasons?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

James,
There is nothing wrong in asking God for what you want!! Especially, in wanting to see your child!! Pray for it! Beg Him for it! And if He says "No", Well there's your answer!
Much Love to you both
Jen

Anonymous said...

He is coming. (sorry I have to say this... but that's what she said) Ok back to my point. The baby is going to be coming out... there much better. He will be here soon. And you will forget all this torture waiting. We really can not wait! H

Shan said...

i remember how BAD i wanted our 2nd daughter out...i would get so annoyed when someone would say something like, "well, maybe you'll just go to your due date". ahhhhhh, i wanted to cry. but, heather's right, you'll forget about all this torture when that little baby arrives. also, i think i've commented this before but, maybe you should ask your dr. to strip your membranes...it worked for me the same day she did it (1 week early). ~s

Sarah said...

Hey James I do believe in James it says, "You do not have, because you do not ask God." So I say go for it! I know it is hard to wait for your kid to come. I was only blessed one time with having one early and the rest were within a couple of days of my due date. He will come trust me. I know you want to see what he looks like and hold him but this is just getting you ready for parenthood. You will always be wanting something to happen with them but what you really need to do is sit back and enjoy right now because before you know it he will be walking and talking back to you. Enjoy this time, anticipation is the best! Love you guys and I still praying for a fast and easy labor for you Alyssa, oh yeah and the most important a healthy little boy!

rk said...

Oh my goodness, your post took me back 15 years ago to thinking my twins would never arrive. I remember similar feelings. When they started turning my rib cage into a jungle gym I was beyond ready! If it's any encouragement, we are starting to discuss drivers ed. Somehow they arrived, and now they want to drive!!! Eeek.

Congrats and you are in our prayers.

Blessings,
Roxanne

Carmen said...

Oh I hope you don't have to wait for the next full moon. I think this Friday is the day or Saturday or... I'm kidding. He'll be here this week end. Love, Me

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, only God knows his (your baby's) special day and hour. I agree with your pope fellow, when he is ripe, he will fall. Enjoy your last few moments of quite bliss, because believe me, he's going to rock your world!! Be blessed and I will be praying for that beautiful little boy to surface when God believes it's right. I can't wait to hear you have him in your arms. :)Penny

Holly Brim said...

The circle of life comment took me all the way back to Praha.