Sunday, June 8, 2008

Has the game just changed?




Okay so I don't blog much...and I blog even less on my wifes blog. But since I don't really have an outlet...why not. So I had a pretty good week and a half as far as the job market. 4 interviews in 10 days is pretty good in my opinion. Two positions that I'm fairly optimistic about and two others that are... NFM...not for me. But I experienced some weird happenings. Things I've never experienced. Two companies gave me "homework". They wanted me to put together a sales and marketing plan. I've never had a interviewer ask me that in the 30-40 interviews that I've gone on in my lifetime. An assignment? Really? I did them. So far I aced one assignment. And I'm talking with the VP on Monday for the second, so TBD.
But here's the the really weird interview. I'm a pretty good interviewer. My interviews rarely get out before the hour mark and they usually last 1 1/2 to 2 hours (which in the business world is great if you can get someone to talk to you that long... it means they're interested) If I can just get in to see the hiring person I'll get them to at least seriously consider me. I have one company considering me right now just because I called him 10 times in 3 weeks for an interview. And another company 15 times plus 3 emails got me a call from the owner of the company asking me if I'd be this persistent in my job...alas...no positions open till fall for the latter company. Anyways, I digressed. I interviewed with a company on friday. A fairly new company that is expanding the sales force. Great. I was in the interview for about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Good right? Well...He didn't ask me one question about myself.
BACK UP!
What?!!?? Not one question. No tell me about yourself. What's your sales pitch? Name a strength and weakness. Tell me about a successful time in sales where you overcame an obstacle. What do you consider to be a successful salesman? Why do you want this position? NOT ONE QUESTION.

That's not normal right? He talked about his company, history and sales strategy. Then we talked about mexican food. Slimy car salesmen (that was actually pretty fun), kids, Lambo's, and Puerto Rico becoming the 51st state. I said it'll never happen because where would the star go on the flag? America needs to focus on making sure gas won't need GMAC to finance for a full tank. I digress again.

Anyone out there think an hour interview where I was not asked one question about my qualifications and experience is a strange day? SHould I be worried about that company? I say yes.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Id be worried as well. We are in Atlanta as well (kennesaw) and found your blog through ragamuffin or someone like that..

You guys rock! Welcome to Ga!

Anonymous said...

I say 'yes' too, James! Pretty funky. Honestly, what you have to go through for just a JOB. I am glad you are keeping your sense of humor! And I'm very proud of you for your persistence. You're always in my prayers. Love, Jani
P.S. Lakers lost tonight :( BAH

Aaron said...

Why would you be worried about that company? You actually felt like you wanted to work there after getting through that interview?

Anonymous said...

Umm, yeah I think I might be a little concerned about that one.

Kent Kingery said...

The game has changed, but it changed a couple of years ago. I've hired many people over the last 15 years, and I've always assigned "homework" to the candidates I was really interested in continuing with. It gives me a way to understand their approach to certain things, and I'll be honest that the overall results of the homework really aren't that important.

Regarding the second interview, I'd amplify something said above. If you can see yourself working for the company AND there is a second interview coming, I wouldn't be worried. I do a lot of interviews where the initial contact is more about communicating who we are and what we do to see the reaction to it.

Anonymous said...

Was it a legit company or one of those "scam" marketing jobs? Good luck on your job search and keep being persistent. What kind of sales are you looking for?

Anonymous said...

Good job James, things are looking UP. I have felt your pain , but this is good. I love you Dad/jeff