Monday, June 9, 2008

No compromise



So today was a great day. It must have been great if I (the husband) is blogging again instead of my wife. (She is very sick and sleeping her pregnant troubles away) This morning at 645am my wife left as she usually does to head to the clinic to pump chemo into people. Well this particular morning our "new" truck decided to cuss her out in gauge talk. As soon as she opens the door the dials flip out, the engine lights all flicker, the doors lock and unlock...we're talking demon possessed stuff here. I come out to a panicked wife and could not fix the problem (I guess I'm not a real man). Luckily our gracious host family let me use their car to take her and come back. I get back, call the dealership and ask what I should do. I wanted to take it to Ford 5 miles down the street. The service guy tells me the warranty is only valid at their location. SO I call AAA and have them tow it 25 miles to their dealership. By the way our AAA only covers the first 5 miles then it's $5 a mile after. SO that's $100 so far. I get there. They can't "git ta'iiit" (very deep southern accent) until after lunch around 130. I'm there at 830am. Do I wait 5 hours in the lobby? Uhhhh...no. No way. Since I'm so far from home, no courtesy shuttle service. They call Enterprise for me. I get a new Malibu (which I had to wait an extra 30 minutes for because this Chevy dealership won't spring for a rental unless it's GM) Another $42 plus $12 in gas. (Total so far $154) I go home. I get the call at 130. It's just a dead battery. I thought a dead battery doesn't let the car's radio, AC, power door locks, gauges, dome light, etc work...But I'm no mechanic. To replace, and "reset" my truck...ahem...$188. And the kicker. Since it's not a powertrain problem no warranty coverage. So I had to tow the car to a place I didn't want to go to and rent a car I didn't want to rent and spend $188 on a BATTERY!!!! Because the service manager told me to bring the car to that dealership. I ask for a tow reimbursement ( I didn't even bring up the rental) and he gives me the it's just policy. I don't like it, but I have to abide by it speech. I'm out $342 on a CAR BATTERY!!!!! I reminded him that HE made me come down there but to no avail. It was my call he told me. So the Chevy main headquarters will be getting a call/email/letter/complaint/box of feces from me tomorrow. Another reason why I hate dealerships (by the way I've had to advertise for them and finance for them in my previous sales jobs, so I'm not just a disgruntled customer. I've been on the inside.

Thanks for the prayers. Please keep praying. I might have an offer this week from Sprint/nextel to sell B2B phones, plans, IP's, etc. Virtual office...not bad. I've sold advertising, print, loans and God. I guess the telecom world might be next, unless someone else has any leads.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

James, I am so sorry about your day! That just stinks, even though you made the story very funny to read :) Have a great week and of course, we will be praying about your job!

Anonymous said...

Your mother-in-law thinks you are very funny!! Keep smiling :) I love your blogs!!

Anonymous said...

Ok, so I'm just a nosy lurker but you should be able to get reimbursed some of your towing through your car insurance company. If the vehicle carries full coverage there should be some allowance for a towing charge. Check it out, any amount is better than none.

Good luck with the baby and the job search.

Andrea
(in Dallas, TX)

Anonymous said...

Yo James. I like how all your blogs have some sort of visual image in it. It's a nice ambiance setter. I'm sorry about your possessed car and all that craziness. I hope you get the job! Still praying for you and Alyssa! <3 Lynn Pham

Sarah said...

Hey my friend Beth has sister who is a head hunter for sales jobs all over the US. Here is her email address abrines@culvercareers.com. Good luck!