Saturday, April 5, 2008

Asian Food


Today was so much better than yesterday. I know that it is cliche, but it is amazing how much better I feel today (when I put my mind up to being in a better mood). Part of that reason might be that it is Saturday and no one will give me a job on Saturdays, so I took the opportunity to relax. But today was fun and exciting. We played with the kids and the guys played video games.



First we have the best roommates. Heather is an amazing cook, but she allows us to humble ourselves (he he he) every weekend and cook for them. So, I busted out my little white girl recipe book my Mom had made for me for Christmas years ago and selected this weekends dishes. Tonight we had Korean food. The Whittakers are like myself, having one person in your immediate family makes you Korean. James and I went to 5 different grocery stores today looking for the items that we needed to make my selected dishes. We still didn't find everything we needed, so we ended up going to our storage unit to locate a few other random items. But they all liked the Korean food we made (sorry friends you could not be here to help us enjoy it). Here is Losiah enjoying the zucchini pancakes- so you can feel like you are here with us. He is saying cheese in this photo. James was a bit distraught who states that he failed in his Asian-ness, so he heated up Mexican rice because we forgot the white rice. And the wrong rice is better than no rice at all.

I had another "what have we done" moment in one of the many grocery stores when we could not find this one random seasoning. One more thing to add to the list of things I am learning is that not every grocery carries the same stuff that the Good Ol' Stater Bros. does. That reminds me, Mom you might be getting a call to send me a few things from the store, love you.

I miss things being familiar..... like where things are at the store and how to drive to different stores. I did drive everywhere today without consulting any maps :P yea me.

8 comments:

poipuppy16 said...

Are there no asian stores. "So So Sorry" (with asian accent) Just let us know if there is anything that we can send you.
"You want Fried Lice, how bout some fried nodol, i give you good deal. come you eat my shop I feed you real good."
Hope say whats up to every one for us. Love you all.
Mike and Amanda (asian friends)

Anonymous said...

You know I will send you anything you need or want!! Just say the word... Dad and I are so proud of you both. Love you tons!! Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

I am counting my blessings since not only we have Asian supermarkets ahoy, we also have Korean supermarkets.

Did you try your hand at the Korean staple side dish known as kimchi?

Unknown said...

Try the Dekalb Farmers Market here in Atlanta. They have nearly everything known to man. Plus, it's a cool place just to wander around.

http://www.dekalbfarmersmarket.com/

Anonymous said...

There is an Asian market in Duluth, I think its called H Mart, not positive. Did you try Harry's Farmers Market in Marietta?

TigerFamily said...

I am shocked you have not gotten a call back...clearly they need nurses here! Find someone that works at CHOA...last I heard they were giving their employees a 10K bonus for finding a nurse...you could make a deal and split the loot:) Praying you will hear something soon. I remember when we first moved to So Cal and the grocery stores went on strike that first weekend. It really freaked me out:) I was scared to cross the picket lines so we drove around until we found Stater Bros:) I still miss that store. Problem was, we found the one in Corona and is smelled like COW!!! I remember walking down the isles with tears running down my face thinking...what have we done? It will get better and you will settle in and find your niche:) Praying for you both. m

Aaron said...

Next time, cruise over to the Dong Bang grocery in Marietta (South Marietta Pkwy & 41) and make it in one trip. :)

S said...

Try the Dekalb farmer's market. It has everything that you could possibly need.